Thursday, September 11, 2014

To Go Clipless or Not to Go Clipless, Is Not a Real Question

Good ol' Shimano Dual Pedal
Seems when I go shopping or consider new bike commuting equipment I automatically evaluate two criteria.  Versatility and convenience.  Quality is a given I don't ride with "junk" though my wife might argue that after I've shopped garage sales but that's not an issue.  Anyhow, this idea was inspired by Kent's Bike Blog regarding "Clipsplaining".

I have spent many hours around bike work stands and heard all sorts of opinionated banter from very savvy bike folks including very talented bike techs.  Using fenders as an analogy while managing a shop in one of Colorado's mountain bike mecca areas one of the techs like to spew his blatant disdain for fenders, knowing I commuted to work everyday with fenders of course.  "Fenders are useless, they just clog with mud".  My convertible fenders have toolless removal when needed.  So, with the clipless pedal I have my own silly banter as a form of good humored retaliation.

My dual platform SPD pedals in photo combined with Nashbar Ragster II sandals are an excellent combination for me.  Sure that provides a clipless option but with the sandals being so comfortable for walking I can also pedal the platform side.  When that type of conversation rears its' debate I like to comment "oh ya, I've got the clipless thing, but I don't use them for that, I just like the dork sporty look while kickin' it at the coffee shop".  That always gets some quizzical looks, particularly when I add similar comments regarding my Bell Metro Helmet complete with set of bike geek accessories.  Most often I would get myself to chuckling so hard the boys knew I was jerking their proverbial "chain".  Nonetheless those sorts of exchanges usually ended with someone suggesting I "get the old school chip off my shoulder".  Fun stuff, never anything really wicked intended with that bike banter and ultimately nobody really gave a shit as I was the only employee at that shop bike commuting everyday.

"You know how it is, I enjoy a good clipless pedal as much as the next person, but still, where did the platform pedal come from?  Oh, that's just a little something I put together when I got home from work last night.  Works really good for kicking the shit out of it".
Picture of bike commuter with clipless pedals and sandals
Kickin' it with dual SPD pedals and sandals.  


No comments:

Post a Comment