Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fun Lovin' Bike Remodel, a Bike for All Seasons

'93 Bridgestone MB 1 mountain bike
My '93 Bridgestone MB 1 before replacing fork, saddle, handlebars, stem, grips and tires.
I am so enjoying this old Bridgestone and very pleased with how it came together.  Found it on Craigslist in pretty rough condition with a stripped threaded steer tube on the old Rock Shox suspension fork.  It would have been nice to get a Ritchey Logic fork to match with the original frame and I will continue to check ebay for one.  In the interim I found a very inexpensive solution from Sunlite.  I was a bit skeptical at first considering the limited options available in a one inch threaded replacement fork so I was very pleased with to find two options.  A fork from Breezer was also available so I went grabbed one while they were still available.  Although the Breezer fork cost twice what the Sunlite fork did I went with the Sunlite fork for its' threaded eyelet options thinking I would need them for front rack and fender.
Picture of Breezer one inch threaded mountain bike replacement fork
Breezer one inch threaded replacement fork 
As it turned out I didn't have to worry about that after all as the folks at United Bike Supply had some very inexpensive convertible fenders that still offer full rear tire coverage.  A product I didn't know was available and figured I would need something with fender stays to install to protect the front derailleur.  That is really what fenders do for me, protect drivetrain components and reduce maintenance of cleaning and lubing.  Particularly because I enjoy having different bikes to ride, most of which have fenders. Besides the inexpensive fenders they also took care of my rear rack needs with a very inexpensive aluminum rack.  Although I wouldn't feel comfortable loading it with much weight it has nice top length for carrying a tent and sleeping pad.  I really appreciate United Bike Supply for their unique ability to turn up inexpensive accessories when having "the best" is just silly.  I don't require bamboo fenders and consider it impractical for commuting and touring.  I would rather have something versatile and less expensive but not necessarily disposable.  I decided I would try to get a front rack from Old Man Mountain surprised by the money I had saved including the quality budget commuting tires and saddle.

So, intending to splurge a bit on a front rack for touring I found what I was looking for from Minoura.  Think Old Man Mountain and Surly Nice Rack and I have the Minoura FRP 3000.  Beautiful front rack that I was able to mount to the brake bosses and fork drop outs with quick release skewer.  I got a really good deal on the rack as it was available at the warehouse without all the hardware for installation including the quick release skewer, which as it turned out a rear skewer works just fine.

Picture of mountain bike for touring
My '93 Bridgestone built for bike touring and commuting with Minoura FRP 3000 Front Pannier Rack.
After replacing the original Ritchey handlebars and stem with a shorter stem and trekking bars my remodeled version of a Bridgestone MB 1 is more fun and comfortable for use as a touring bike and commuting.  A friend commented "I know that's an unassuming but powerful bike".  I love hearing comments like that especially from someone who wouldn't be considered a "bike person".   There's something so accurate about that statement as when I ride this old Bridgestone it mellows my mood, softens me a bit yet doesn't slow me down.  Those are some very nice qualities which I feel defines and accurately describes a bike for everyday commuting and when it's that sweet it's even better for taking on a nice meandering bike tour.

Seems to me I have been happy without even realizing it though not because I have taken happiness for granted.  It's more of a definition of terms being contented or happy and there really isn't much difference as it would probably be very difficult to be content without some elements of happiness.
Picture of mountain bike for touring with racks and panniers
Bridgestone Touring and Commuting Bike

2 comments: